Saturday, October 1, 2016

The 2016 Debates

The name, Elmer Lower, will probably not ring a bell with many readers of this blog. Nor should it. Except in newspaper circles, Lower hardly ranked as a celebrity. His career as a journalist reached its heights in 1963 when he was named president of ABC News. During his tenure, he was responsible for hiring Peter Jennings, Ted Koppel, Frank Reynolds, and Sam Donaldson. In that time, the ABC News division grew from 250 to 750 employees, and the NBC television evening news expanded from 15 minutes to 30 minutes. Lower was honoured with a lifetime achievement Emmy award in 1975.

However, there was so much more to Elmer. He and I corresponded for several years until 2011 when he died. He had a breadth and depth of knowledge in American journalism, politics and history that was unsurpassed in my experience. I met him first in 2003 when I was researching Watergate. He told me he couldn’t really help as he was out of the Washington loop by the beginning of Nixon’s second term. However, he had met and interviewed all US Presidents since Hoover. During a long, warm afternoon in the Hamptons, I was given the best history lesson of my life.

Elmer talked quite a bit about the 1960 election between Nixon and Kennedy. He told me that he had suggested the debates to his ABC masters but other networks also cottoned on to the idea. He didn’t comment much on the first debate but here is an unedited extract of my taped interview about the second debate:

“The debates, I’m sure you’ve got plenty of stuff on the debates.  I was the host to the second one and timekeeper. Well, the second debate was at WRC at Washington. I think this is something that probably hasn’t been fully reported. The Kennedy camp knew they’d won the first debate and they were sure that NBC was going to do something to even up the odds and make it even for Nixon. So when they came in they wanted to see every little detail in the whole studio, the whole station, and first Jack Kennedy would get up and stand at his lectern and Bobby would go into the control room and look at every picture, every lens, every change of lens and they did this for half an hour and then Jack would go in and look at the pictures and Bobby would stand at the lectern.  They were so afraid they were going to lose their advantage. When Nixon’s people came in they were greatly relaxed. They didn’t ask anything, they said hello, we’re off to the Green Room to prepare and relax until it was time to go on. 

“Nothing really much happened in the debate. They did a lot of arguing about two islands off the coast of China and they went on from there.  But anyway Ross Tulliver and I were there as timekeepers.  It was a fairly simple system though, no crisis or anything but it was a lot of fun doing it.  The two people who I consider the authorities on that first debate that CBS carried because they drew the straw on it were Don Rather of 60 Minutes, he was the director on that occasion. The producer in fact was my old boss, Sid Nicholson, who is now dead, but the guy who asked the dirty questions of Nixon in that debate was a guy who worked in England for a long time going way back in the 50s. He was asking the dirty questions.

How interesting that the Kennedys were onto the importance of image even in 1960. I wonder what
Elmer would think of Monday night’s debate. I’m pretty sure I know what he would say about Trump
as a candidate. But what of Trump and Clinton as debaters? Had I asked him the question, In suspect
Elmer would have given me an old-fashioned look, reminded me he reported news, not gossip. and
would have limited any comment to a mild criticism of the moderator for letting both candidates,
especially Trump, off the hook.  

I am sad I cannot correspond with Elmer about this election. His insight would be so valuable, not so much for the race for the Presidency but how the new Congress might look and how the parties might move from partisan politics and get round to the business of governing.

 

 

 

I am taking a break until the third week of October.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment