Saturday, November 5, 2016

Do We Really Need American Culture?


I don’t know about you but I am Trumped-out, Clintoned-out, Congressed-out and pretty well everything-to-do-with-American-politics-out. I don’t want to think about it, write about it, teach it or pontificate about it. I don’t even want to bore my mates to tears anymore about it.
The thing is we, i.e. us Brits, can’t seem to move without bumping into some form of Americana. Back in the 80s, I was in South Florida. It was my first time in the States on Halloween. I needed to draw some cash. In those days, ATMs were mere science fiction, so in I went to a Wells Fargo Bank on Key Biscayne – a wonderful area that has now been more over-developed than Sandbanks. I opened the bank door, entered and was accosted by a six foot frog, who guided me to a teller, dressed as Snow White. It was a hoot.

We were staying with friends who had a two-year old. We went trick or treating and I heard about the costumes my wife wore for Halloween such as naughty Eloise from the books by Kay Thompson. Halloween has now been adopted by the Brits. I don’t mind groups of small children, accompanied by adults, knocking at the door, especially if they ask, “Trick or treat, money or eats?”  I do object to smelly teenagers, not in costume, ringing the door-bell with menace and demanding to be fed. Still, what’s the point of being an older man if you can’t be grumpy?
Black Friday, the annual retail shopping bonanza after Thanksgiving in the States, recently copied by the Brits, falls on Friday November 25 this year. For centuries, the adjective "black" was applied to days upon which calamities occurred. The phrase, “look at what I’ve saved” might be justified because prices have been slashed? But Black Friday feeds retail addictions and craziness.

I understand the earliest known use of "Black Friday" referred to the day after Thanksgiving in 1951 when workers called in sick so they could enjoy a four-day weekend. Then, in the 1960s, "Black Friday" came to be used by the Philadelphia police to describe the crowds and traffic congestion accompanying the start of the Christmas shopping season. One group of persons – retailers - must love Black Friday but whether their workers do is a different matter. Yet here we are, adopting another slice of American culture which is capitalist inspired. Give the people what they want.

I have been musing about other areas of American culture which the Brits have adopted. Since when did our school-leavers have a Prom? I gather this is now par for the course. Thank heavens my daughters left school before I had to witness them wearing Prom dresses, corsages on their wrists and being collected by boys wearing ‘tuxedos’, or black tie evening dress to the rest of us mortals, and going off to an evening of dance, drink and loss of virginity. Come on, John, it’s a tradition!

Naturally, I don’t object to American Football being played at Wembley and Twickenham but give me a game of football – not soccer – any time and not Major League Soccer. We have imported all kinds of reality television shows. Big Brother and I’m a Celebrity are home grown but do we have to have the Kardashians?  From what I gather, they are pains to many. I don’t watch. What is real about reality TV anyway?

I could go on……so I will. Calling everybody by their shortened first name, fast food, chewing gum, dress down Fridays and my bete noire of bete noires, the truly insincere ‘have a nice day', although I have always felt it is a pleasure being served by people who are pleasant and take pride in their work.
Back in the 1950s, I had no objection to the import of Elvis Presley, Bill Haley and early rock ‘n roll. A decade later, Motown toured the UK. It went largely un-noticed but made a huge impression on me. By the 1970s, I wore American jeans and T-shirts bought in America. I kept my coffee hot in a Styrofoam mug. This kind of culture imported from the US was great. And I still indulge. A while back, I was in Spearfish, South Dakota, and visited the local college, Black Hills State University. My black sweat shirt is emblazoned with the initials, BHSU. I enjoyed telling people that this was how President No 43 spelled his name.

On our many trips to the US, I had to giggle at the habit by men out west to wear a cowboy hat inside a restaurant or diner at dinner time. Three years ago in Cody, Wyoming, things had changed. Headwear was now baseball hats. At pretty well every table, men were sitting and eating wearing those hats, many with the peak on backwards. I’ve seen the habit creeping into London eateries. There’s a saying, “in Rome, do what the Romans do.” In Cody, I didn’t have a baseball hat!

Do we in old Blighty really need to adopt everything American? If so, in the next general election, should we expect Mr. Corbyn to call our PM “Crooked Teresa?” I have no objection to American culture in America. In fact, I love most of it. Many of our values are shared with our American cousins. I just like our British culture. It’s right to pour the milk before the tea! So could we be more selective about what we adopt from America and what we keep at arm’s length?

 

Supplemental:

Tuesday night could be a long one for those of us who stay up to watch election results. I have no better idea of the likely outcome than any of you. I read two American newspapers and watch four web sites, including fivethiryeight and Larry Zabato’s Crystal Ball.

Before I make my predictions, I need to give a health warning. Polls are unreliable in a tight race, especially because this year some pollsters give themselves a 4% plus or minus margin of error. Also, results from the better pollsters are three or four days in arrears, so polls next Tuesday reflect questions asked on Friday.

That being said, I believe the following:

President: A Clinton win. I can’t predict Electoral College numbers but no landslide.

Senate: A Democrat win by 51 to 49 or 52 to 48. Even a 50/50 tie would work for the Democrats if Clinton wins.

House: A Republican hold with an approximate 20 seat majority.  

If you decide to place a bet based on my beliefs, I am not responsible! The one thing certain in every election is anything could happen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment