Saturday, November 23, 2013

“Won’t You Come Back, Bill Clinton?”




In my previous blog, I made an apparently rash suggestion that President Obama could do worse than invite Bill Clinton to act as a special adviser to seek a budget deal, thus avoiding yet another round of continuing resolutions and half-baked deals. Let us assume that the suggestion is becoming a reality in the President’s mind.

The Oval Office in the White House, December, 10th, 2013. The President has called a meeting of senior advisers. Those present are Denis McDonough, Chief of Staff, Robert Gibbs, Press Secretary, Daniel Pfeiffer, Strategy and Communications, Miguel Rodriguez, Legislative and Congressional Liaison and Sylvia Burwell, Director of Office of Management Budget.

Obama: “Come in all of you. I want to share an idea.”

McDonough: “The President’s had an idea? Interesting. [Ironic laughter by all, including Obama.]

Obama: “Okay, enjoy yourselves. The position is this. We find ourselves like rabbits in a hole with shooters all around. The Affordable Care Act is crumbling as much as my numbers. Afghanistan is a busted flush, there’s little I can do in Syria, the Russians are crowing over me, the Chinese economy is slaughtering us. And the budget talks are nowhere. Right, Miguel?”

Rodriguez: “Yes, Mr President. Three days to go before the Congressional Committee is due to announce a budget deal and nothing at all is agreed. Everyone is grandstanding. I’ve twisted arms of people on both sides but heels are dug in. Sorry for the mixed metaphor.”

Burwell:  “Miguel is right. I’ve lost count of the meetings I’ve had with committee members from each side of the aisle. They behave like spoiled children, wanting their way and seeing nothing else. I despair about this nation’s legislators.”

Obama: “Well, we need help. There’s a man we all know who has huge experience with this sort of thing. My idea is to ask him to come help us out. We have to make sure the voters see we are doing everything we can to resolve the budget, even though the problems lie with Congress. It’s a pity the public doesn’t understand this.”

Gibbs: “Mr President, in every briefing I’ve made for the past month, I’ve said this. At the press gaggle every morning, I emphasize this point. You can’t blame me if the press won’t print what we tell them.”

Obama: “Let’s stay on point. At the end of this meeting, I’m making a call to Bill Clinton unless you think this is a wrong move. I want him as a buffer between me and Congressional leadership. He’ll have no power to conclude a deal but he will have wide rights to negotiate for this administration. So, who wants to start?”

Pfeiffer: “Mr President, I would say the move is courageous.” [Obama sits upright. “Courageous” is a word used when a mistake is being made.] If you call in a former president to do your work, you will look weak.”

Obama: “Daniel, I look weak because I am weak. Have you seen my approval ratings recently? They’re in the 30s. I am now in a club with Nixon and Bush. The congressional Republicans will do whatever they can to shaft me and the Democrats can’t even see my coattails. Next year’s mid-terms are in everyone’s minds. Getting Bill involved says the White House means business and will call in whatever help is needed to resolve the situation.”

Rodriguez: “I’m sure Daniel would tell you this is a political mistake. Clinton will have in mind that he can adjust his position to benefit Hillary. If he gets a deal, he can bring Hillary into the mix to show how good a negotiator she is. If he fails, he can blame you.”

“Burwell:  “I need to emphasize, Mr President, that Mr Clinton would have little or nothing to work with. Congress is nowhere on a deal and, with Christmas intervening, there is little hope of a deal by mid-January. I’m sorry to bring bad news but I want you to be under no illusions.”

Obama: “Thank you, all of you. What you’re saying is that the budget talks are stalemated and nothing can be done to break it. I shouldn’t call in help because I’ll look weak and damage myself politically. I don’t agree. None of you has considered whether calling in Clinton would be the right thing to do, the right thing for the voters and hard-working families of this country. I think it is and I’m not bothered if it damages me. What matters is whether Bill can work his magic.

“So, my next call is to the Vice-President to tell him of my decision. Then I’ll call Bill. If he says yes, I want you on the phones to the Cabinet members, while I tell Congressional leaders that there’s a new Deputy Sheriff in town.”

By mid-January ,2014,  a budget deal is agreed, avoiding a new Continuing resolution. The big problems with the Affordable Care Act are resolved, the web site is working properly and the media is reporting favorably on the Administration.

Well, it is Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment